Online Application and Instructions
Please read the following before you enter the online application link at the bottom of the page.
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program and not graduating before December 2013.
- Have minimum 30 semester college credits/hours completed by May 2013.
- Have minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Be 18-24 years of age.
- Demonstrate strong leadership as indicated by on campus and community volunteer and civic engagement.
- Have strong commitment to Latina/o issues.
- Agree to complete a leadership project that will impact 22 Latinos in your community by the end of the 2013 fall semester/quarter.
- Have a United States Government issued photo id for travel.
The application has four components including:
Part I. Current Contact Information
- Current university, major, preferred contact information.
Part II. Community Impact Essays
1. As a Latina, describe your most valued community commitments, academic achievements, and/or leadership activities? How has your Latina heritage impacted your life? Please include relevant information such as your family background and how you overcame challenges and obstacles. (maximum character count 1,500.)
2. In your criteria, what are the top issues affecting Latina college retention and completion? How can we address these issues to ensure that we are building a Latina leadership pipeline? (maximum character count 1,500.)
3. Upon completion of the program, participants are required to complete a leadership project that emphasizes driver safety and must impact at least 22 Latinos. If selected, what would your leadership project look like? Who would you collaborate with? What resources would you need? (maximum character count 1,000.)
4. Where do you see yourself ten years from now? What role will you play in society and how will you impact the issues facing Latinas? Please address issues you most want to impact and why. (maximum character count 1,000.)
5. What challenges do you face as a Latina in college? What can your college do to attract and retain more Latina applicants? (maximum character count of 1,000.)
Part III. Demographic Information
- You will be promoted to answer questions about you place of birth, Hispanic ethnicity, household size and income, and upload a short biography.
Part IV. Letters of Recommendations
- NHLI requires all applicants to submit two letters of recommendation.
- Your recommenders should submit letters by Friday, May 24th, 2013 at 5PM EST.
Note: Please do not submit letters from relatives.
Tips for Completing Your Application
Prepare the following documents in advance to insert into the online application; the application will not allow you to save your essays so type and save them into Word or another word processor first.
Have someone proofread your essays and resume before you submit them.
Allow your recommenders adequate time to complete their letters by notifying them as soon as possible. It may be helpful to them to also see a copy of your resume and/or the essays you are submitting.
***Applications are now closed. Thank you for your interest.***
- The application is best viewed using Internet Explorer.
- Once inside the online application, you do not have the opportunity to save your work.
If you have questions please visit LLL FAQ page.
Back to top